Longview Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer | Longview DUI Car Accident Lawyer
"I thought I could make it home safe."
These are, unfortunately, words spoken way too late.
Drunk Driving Car Accident Lawyers in Longview, Texas
There are about 17,000 alcohol related car accident deaths in the United States each year, this means that there is a drunk driving death every 31 minutes. Alcohol was a factor in 39 percent of all fatal accidents and in 7 percent of all crashes in 2004. Additionally about 248,000 people are injured in accidents where police reported that alcohol was present, thus one person is injured in a drunk driving accident in the US every 2 minutes. These incredible statistics reveal why drunk driving is a major public policy issue.
DUI Longview Car Accident Attorneys
Believe it or not, people in Longview, Texas, still, to this day, think it is "OK" to get in their car after drinking a lot of beers and alcoholic drinks and drive around. They do not care if they injure or kill an entire family, until it is too late. They could have easily called Avis Rent-A-Car at (903) 643-2292 or City Cab Company at (903) 753-5544.
It's Not Just Alcohol, It's drugs as well that Injure or Kill Persons on Longview Streets
DUI stands for "Driving Under the Influence" of drugs and/or alcohol. Even prescription drugs. Anything that impairs someone's driving abilities and that impairment is a cause of the Longview vehicle accident, then that is considered an accident that the drunk or high driver can and should, be held accountable for. Interestingly, and sadly, the drugged or drunk driver usually escapes serious injury or death and the persons that are sober sustain the major injuries or fatalities. This phenomenon is partly due the "relaxed" aspect that the inebriated driver is in at the very moment of the accident as opposes to the tensing-up that the straight driver does just before a known impending impact.
Things to do At the Longview Accident Scene Where a Drunk Driver is Involved
- First and foremost, contact 911 for an ambulance for all of the injured. Make sure you tell them how many are injured and, to the extent you can, the severity of each person;
- Male sure they send a policeman as well. If the offending driver appears under the influence, make sure they know that as well;
Try not to engage in contact with the driver because, if he is doped up or drunk, he could become violent;
- If the offending driver, ties to leave the scene, DO NOT FOLLOW them. Simply, try to get the make, model, color and tag number of their vehicle;
- After the police get there, if there are open containers, or drug paraphernalia, in his car, try to snap a couple cell phone pictures of it/them;
- Also, take cell phone pictures of the damage of both cars. When the tow truck takes your car, if it is totaled, you may never see it again to take pictures;
- Try to find out the names and addresses of ALL the towing companies and where ALL the cars are being taken;
- Make sure the officer gives you the Incident Number;
- If you are hurt but not sure how hurt, go to the ER and get checked out and this goes for all your passengers as well. Toward the bottom of this page, there is a short list of Emergency rooms in Longview;
- Contact a Longview Personal Injury Lawyer immediately or as soon as possible.
Insurance Adjusters Will Hurry You to Settle When You Are Involved in an Accident With a Drunk Driver in Longview
Keep in mind that insurance claims adjusters record conversations and try to destroy your claims by getting you to say things that might hurt your case. A seasoned Longview drunk driving accident attorney is experienced in negotiating with insurance companies; therefore, it is best to consult a drunk driving accident lawyer in Longview before you speak to the drunk driver's insurance company.
Driving While Intoxicated, DWI, Car Accidents Lead to Punitive Damages In Longview, Texas
The reason insurance company car accident adjusters try to quickly settle your Longview DWI injury quickly is because they know Texas law allows for the recovery of punitive damages in a car accident where their insured was dunk or drugged up. DWI punitive damage Longview lawyers know that the punitive damage laws specifically provide for drunk driving accidents.
Serious injury, Wrongful Death or Intoxicated Manslaughter in Longview
Normally, the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code Section 41.008 limits the amount that a jury in Longview, Texas can award an accident victim. However, if your Longview car accident attorney can prove the the drunk driver violated Section 49.07 (intoxication assault) or Section 49.08 (intoxication manslaughter) of the Texas Penal Code, these limits on punitive damages do not apply.
Good Shepherd Medical Center
Longview Medical Center, LP
If You Were the One that Had been Drinking
If you received a ticket or, worse yet, went to jail, but you truly feel that your drinking had nothing to do with the cause of the accident, e.g., you were rear-ended while stopped at a red light, it will be absolutely necessary to fight and win your DWI or DUI charge. If you win it, there may still be a chance for your Longview drunk driving car wreck attorney to make a successful Longview personal injury claim. If you do believe you have a drinking problem, the first step is to say so and seek help. The Alcoholic Anonymous program has, over the years, proven itself to be the best opportunity to "kick the habit" of drinking alcohol. For a list of Alcoholics Anonymous groups in Longview, see the below.
Longview DUI automobile accident attorneys serve clients throughout Central Texas, including Big Sandy, Clarksville City, Diana, East Mountain, Easton, Gladewater, Hallsville, Hawkins, Judson, Kilgore, Laird Hill, Lakeport, Leverett's Chapel, Liberty City, Nesbitt, Overton, Shiloh, Union Grove, Warren City, White Oak, and other communities in Gregg County and Harrison County.